Thursday, November 5, 2009

Ted Danson, Skateboarders, Santas & Food!

Well, Monday I set out for my "lost in the city" day.  Little did I know it would turn out to be very literal.  After a pleasant train ride into the city I found myself standing on the subway downtown near a NYU film student and his "accomplice" for the day, a skateboarder.  This sent a warm smile across my face while tugging at my heart.  I emerged from the subway to have my next pleasant surprise....Ted Danson.  As I looked up to find my bearings, there he was, more handsome than on TV.  We exchanged hellos as I avoided walking into him, his smile was genuine and his voice kind.  Thank you Mr. Danson for a warm welcome to my adventure.  I knew my day was going to go well! 

The drizzle came, as did the cold.  I walked in what I thought was the direction I wanted to proceed, only to discover I really did not know this area of the city well at all.  I debated finding somewhere to purchase an umbrella and quickly dismissed the thought unless I encountered steady rain or a downpour.  As I wandered, I would bump into familiar sounding street names which provided me with a false sense of familiarity and security.  I was lucky to walk by a very small but inviting bakery on East 4th Street called Pinisi.  I had a very tasty cranberry muffin and a great cup of coffee.  I watched regulars come and go, witnessed a fight between the delivery driver and a meter maid who had just written him a ticket.

Recharged, I set off determined to find the chocolatier that brought me here in the first place.  Well, around lunch time, I was still lost but came across a landmark, Washington Square Park!  I knew I was close.  Chocolate was within my reach.  As I stopped to take in the sights and sounds of the park, the sun emerged washing my face with a welcoming warmth.  It was then I heard the familiar sounds of a skateboard.  I turned to watch and it was the two young men that were on the subway with me.  I watched one do tricks as the other encouraged and filmed it.  My boys, all three of the filled my heart and mind with a joy that only a mother knows.  I sat on a bench to soak up the sun and music began playing. A group of challenged young adults were playing music.  It was refreshing.  They were having so much fun, so uninhibited by the world around them.  I took joy in their performance.

My stomach began to compete with the sounds of the band so off I headed in  a confident direction of Jacque Torres Choclatier and my lunch destination of  Caffe Reggio.   I knew the addresses, but when you are unfamiliar with the streets distances are very deceiving.  I knew I was close, as I had been before, but this time I swallowed my pride and asked for directions.  The city streets had won this time.
I found myself on beautiful MacDougall Street and immediately found Caffe Reggio.  The inside was very old and inviting.  Couples of all kinds surrounded me as I settled into a chair next to the window.  I ordered Brushetta, a salad and a cup of espresso with hazelnut cream.  The coffee was delicious.  The salad was average at best and the brushetta a huge disappointment.  I may go back someday and try a pasta dish out of curiosity, but based on the brushetta (which seemed like my salad tossed onto dry, thin, rye bread) my expectations are not high.

Next stop, desert, how can anyone go wrong with chocolate.  when I saw the building I was immediately impressed with the size.  Upon entering I was disappointed not to be overwhelmed by the smell of chocolate.  Everything was neat, orderly and looked exquisite.  However, I was a bit disappointed.  Maybe my expectations were to low, some would call me crazy not to have fallen in love with Jacque.  I did purchase a cookie and a tiny cupcake, which were tasty.  I left with the  discovery that I am more of a modest chocolate lover that the extravagant.

Time to get my weary feet heading back into the direction of the train station.  I started to get a visual of the area so my confidence grew.  I knew the subway to take but had no idea where the nearest station was so I made the decision to walk to 40+ blocks back.  As I turned the corner, and glanced towards Union Square Park, an arts and crafts fair caught my eye.  As I approached, I noticed a sea of red.  Ignoring the art for a moment I wanted to see if my eyes were playing tricks on me.  No, there must have been 50 Santa's all dressed in shorts laughing, jumping, running and creating a scene in the efforts to promote a book.  It was wonderful.  Then came that familiar sound again.  It was the same film student and skateboarder.  I knew it was time to head home.  What a great way to end the day.  

The city is a big, beautiful, surprising place to explore.  This was my "Greenwich Village" trip, which barely got brushed up against.  Most of the museums and quaint stores that caught my eye were closed.  I spent most of the day trying to find certain destinations only to discover my best moments were the unplanned ones.

No comments: