Monday, January 11, 2010

Braving the cold with Wishful Drinking

Running to catch the train I can't help but wonder, where in the world my debit card could be.  If I had know the answer to this question, I would be reading the paper and sipping coffee while waiting for the 11:18 train to New York City.  Instead, it was a mad dash to the station, running through the halls arriving with barely enough time to purchase my ticket and walk onto the train. I could look at this one of two ways.  Either, it was a sign to stay home, or I was meant to go.  I chose the latter.

As I settled into my seat, I reconsidered my last minute decision of leaving the warmth of my home for the harsh winter air of the city.  It was freezing out, I was exhausted, and not in a very good mood; a recipe for disaster.  A few minutes into the ride I began to relax. I turned on my ipod, listened to some Jack Johnson to calm my nerves and knew my debit card was bound to show up somewhere, a pocket, my desk, it always does.  I was prepared for the harsh weather, thought of a backup plan  if the play was sold out and wondered where I might find to eat lunch since during my morning frenzy I skipped breakfast and was now starving. 
Upon arriving in Grand Central I noticed an increase in the security, rather than worrying about it, I felt calmed by their presence, these brave men and woman were stationed to protect me, something I have been searching for lately in my life.  I decided to head right to the box office and secure my ticket for the play Wishful Drinking starring Carrie Fisher.  Why Princess Leia you may ask?  Playbill.com provided cheap tickets.  Simple as that.  Nothing profound, I read reviews that said it was funny and I was in a desperate need for some laughter.  I began once again to question my decision as I walked the cold, windy streets towards Studio 54.  My mood was not lending its self to coping, I wanted to be sheltered. Along the way I encountered a rather strange sight.  Airline seats on 50th Street.  Just lined up along side a building.  It made me chuckle, really, where else would you see something like that?  Only in New York!  I was beginning to get a good feeling about my escapade.

I continued on to Studio 54, happy to be able to experience this iconic theater.  The lobby was inviting and the poster for the play deepened my security that I had made the right choice. After purchasing my last row ticket, I wandered the area in search of nourishment.  I walked past the Stage Deli, avoiding it because I mistakenly thought of it as a tourist trap.  The second time around, self preservation kicked in the and I hesitantly wandered in seating myself at the bar, I was pleasantly surprised when it not only provided warmth and a great omelet, but three unexpected friends.

Carlos the bartender and Jerry the waiter were very surprised to learn that the woman sitting next to me was not only also from CT, but going to see Wishful Drinking when she was done eating her omelet.  The coincidence of this was hysterical to our bartender/waiter. Nancy was from Greenwhich and she came into the city quite often alone to shop and see plays. We discussed theatre, the weather and New Yorkers.  Carlos had seen Wishful Drinking and promised not only would I love it, but I would laugh throughout most of it.  This was what my trips to New York were about.  Finding the hidden gems, the unexpected, the local flavor of a city that seems overwhelming.  Mission accomplished within a hour of being here.


With a newly energized body and mind, I paid my bill and headed off to see Wishful Drinking.  Carlos informed me of his favorite line in the play and invited me to stop in after wards for some cheesecake and my review of the play.  The weather was brisk to say the least and my one block walk to the theater seemed like an eternity.  I found my seat and was surprised that $29.00 actually provided a decent seat.  I was presented with yet another unexpected surprise.  As the play began, some of us were invited down to fill in the empty seats.  I now had a great, front row balcony seat to what turned out to be one of the best plays I have seen in a long time.


Ms. Fisher makes her entrance barefoot, covered in sparkles, wearing black silk pajamas.  She sings Happy Days are here again as she makes her way down to the front row tossing confetti onto unsuspecting play goers.  She then begins to explain why she choose a narcissist move like a self indulging play at this point in her life.  "If my life wasn't funny, it would just be true, and that would be tragic". I think many of us can relate to that quote. With the ice broken she then begins the journey of her life as she remembers it.  Holding nothing back and delving into areas that would be tragic if not for Ms Fishers outlook, she makes the audience laugh for the next 3 hours.  She explains her Star Wars days, gives the audience a lesson complete with chalk board on Hollywood inbreeding 101, and talks about her addictions and the consequences of them.  I did not learn alot about Carrie Fishers life, it has all been covered by the news media throughout the years, but what I did learn was about the person behind the news, the emotions and truth that led her to stand before me talking about subjects that most would be uncomfortable with,  yet making me feel relaxed and even laugh with her about these events.  This was not only talent, but a person who I believe was sincere in her therapeutic need to talk about her life and give an accurate portrayal of her life as she knew it.

Rejuvenated from the energy of the play and laughing so much, I bundle up and decide I must go and share my experience with Carlos and Jerry.  As I sit down at the bar Carlos informs me that immediately after I walked out John McEnroe sat right next to where I was sitting at lunch.  Regardless of your like or dislike of tennis, sitting next to someone as controversial and famous as John McEnroe would have been exciting.  Maybe next time, after all a few months ago I did bump into Ted Danson.  I ordered coffee and cheesecake and we discussed the play.  I shared one of my favorite lines from the play with them.  George Lucas informed Carrie Fisher that she could not wear a bra under her costume because "There is no underwear in space!"  Evidently, he said it with such conviction that she wondered how he could know this.  We ended up talking about  photography, travel, and family.  It amazes me that people think of New Yorker as cold people.  I have always found New Yorkers to be warm, friendly, and helpful and believe that it is the tourist who have these preconceived notions about New Yorkers and do not give them the chance to show their true personalities.


After saying goodbye to Carlos and Jerry and promising to stop in again I bundle up and prepare to face the bitter cold.  The wind had died down and it was not as threatening as I had thought it would be.  I decided to walk back to the train station rather than take the subway.  As I walked down 5th Avenue, I noticed the street lined with school buses and custom buses.  What I had never realized was that when the jewelry row closes, the owners and workers have these buses waiting for them to take them home.  Just a bit of trivia I thought I would share.  Most of the city's Christmas lights were still lit up which gave off a warm glow and as I approached Radio City I hung a left on the chance that Rockefeller Center might still be decorated.  What a pleasant surprise to turn the corner and see the tree still decked in all its grandeur but without the crowds.  I walked around enjoying the beauty and offering my photography skills to families and couples,okay, I just push the button on their cameras.   As I started to walk away, I heard cheering, I turned and saw a couple, alone,  out on the ice rink, with the man down on one knee.  It was a touching, perfect, romantic New York moment that I was glad to have witnessed and a great way to end my day.  Oh, and my debit card was found, things really do work them selves out, you just have to let life happen and some of your best experiences will follow.

No comments: