Monday, February 15, 2010

Snow days and the city

Last week the weather called for a blizzard.  Now, I am old enough to remember the blizzard of 1978.  That was a blizzard.  This last bit of snow was a good old fashioned storm.  My first instinct was to get on a train and be stranded in Manhattan.  Transportation wouldn't matter, you can walk anywhere.  What better place to be involved in my two favorite things, New York City and snow!  Family members on the other hand proved to be a thorn in my side, the voice of reason, stripping the spontaneity right out of me.  Home bound it was.  I would make a fire in the fire place, put on a good movie, wrap myself in a blanket and wait to be "snowed in".  Weather men seem to have gotten much worse with all the hew technology at their disposal.  We did get snow, maybe 3 inches, and an occasional gust of wind.  The worst of the storm was suppose to be between 1pm and 5pm.  I waited for the thunder snow that was called for, the blizzard like conditions, but instead I was left sitting in my chair gazing out the window repeating over and over, I should have gone to NY.  I need to learn to trust my gut on these decisions.  I need to not second guess my desire to be in certain places at certain times.  I was going to head into the city today, but I think I will wait till after the snow storm and venture in in Wed, maybe catch a play or go to the museums.  Mondays will be saved for days a bit warmer when wandering aimlessly can be a bit more pleasant.

No comments: